What I Won’t and Will Miss was first started by Nora Ephron at the end her book, “I Remember Nothing”. Nora was a famous writer, director, blogger and most notably a screenwriter for : Sleepingless in Seattle, Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally and my favourite, Julie & Julia.
She won countless Academy Awards for her work throughout her career.
Unknown to everyone else, when Nora wrote and directed Julie & Julia, she was secretly battling leukaemia. No one in the cast, crew or even her close friends had any idea, she was dying.
On June 26th 2012, Nora Ephron passed away, aged 71 years old.
In Nora’s last book, “I Remember Nothing” her list of “What I Won’t and Will Miss” was her last message to everyone, and I thought it would be fitting to continue on with her legacy, by honouring her list.
So, without further ado, here’s my List :
What I Won’t Miss
- The day my child died ( I’ll never ever forget that day. I wish it never happened)
- Cold Winter nights
- The illusion of Friends (those who pretend to be a friend and are really after something you have)
- The fear that another one of my children could die before me
- The Wolf always knocking at my door (the thought of poverty)
- The fear of dying a horrible death
- Another Grizzly Attack
- socks (hate wearing socks)
- Watching what I eat
- The fear that God (spiritual entity) doesn’t exist (meaning our whole biological existence has no meaning. We are nothing more then animals with a brain and evolution is laughing in our face).
- The end of our world
What I Will Miss
- Las Vegas
- The Hawaiian Islands
- Gourmet meals
- My BBQ
- New York Steak, filet mignon, Prime Rib
- Tiger Shrimp, Scampis and Scallops
- Hollandaise sauce
- Yorkshire Pudding
- See’s brand Chocolate
- Anything Chocolate ( must be good chocolate – no wax fillers)
- Macadamia & white chocolate chip cookies
- Macadamia nuts from Hawaii
- Resorts, like Aria, the Venetian, Palazzo, The Wynn, The Banff Springs and Lake Louise Hotel
- Banff National Park, Alberta
- Lake Louise, Alberta
- Yoho National Park
- British Columbia
- The Okanagan Valley
- Flying, either it be a jet or helicopter
- My kids
- My grandchildren
- Patricia (married for 37 years)
- The Northern Lights
- Our amazing Universe
- Our amazing Sun
- Drinking exotic drinks poolside at a resort
- My screenplay : BLACK ANGELS
My Regrets or Bucket List
- Not being able to see earth from a spaceship
- Not being able to vacation on Mars
- Not to experience time travel
- Not being able to travel through our solar system, like a tourist
- Not being able to visit Iceland, Italy, Portugal, Spain or Japan
- Never to see the Caribbean Islands
- Not being able to travel First Class in a private jet
- Not able to afford a Mercedes Benz
- Not being able to actually see Peace on Earth
- Humans never getting the chance to fly on their own free will.
- Anti-gravity was never invented
- I never met the President of the United States
- I never met Anthony Hopkins
- Never to have a boys night out with Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Denzel Washington, Kevin Costner and Keanu Reeves for a weekend in Vegas, including partying at the top Vegas Nightclub for celebrities.
I believe that pretty much sums it up for me.
Wouldn’t it be something, if the rest of Hollywood would also follow along with Nora’s List, in honour of her achievements.
Prepare your list of What I Won’t Miss and What I Will Miss, and then pass along. Ask your followers, friends, family and students to do the same. Let’s reblog and see if we can carry on what Nora Ephron started.
WHAT I WON’T MISS and WHAT I WILL MISS
By Bari Demers – screenwriter and freelance writer